[techtalk] Rising RAM Prices

Just This Girl archmage at gte.net
Wed Oct 20 11:21:44 EST 1999

Cathy James wrote:

> >I heard that memory prices were going up in the US because companies were
> >saying that the earthquake in Taiwan cut the supply-- the problem with that
> >excuse is that Taiwan only supplies the US with 10% of the chips......
>
>         I saw a comment by a high muckety-muck in *Intel* stating
> that he had no idea why memory prices were going up (!).
>
>         Taiwan is an excuse, not the cause.
>
>         --Cathy James

Perhaps it can be tied to the irrational seasonal phenomena of airline
tickets doubling or more for flights near major holidays. (I fail to see
how the same seat on the same plane going the same place costs an
airline more at Christmas then it does in June.)

Raising the prices of RAM just before a season where many buyers
contemplate the purchase of new computers as family gifts and the
business world is setting their year 2000 budgets for similar equipment
means all kinds of profit to be had.

Me, I'm personally ticked off that 128M PC100 DIMMs have more than
doubled in cost. I need a second one, but not as badly as all that $$$
for it!

--
O    .--.     Give me some Slack!
 o. |o_o |