[techtalk] GUI's

Kelly Lynn Martin kelly at poverty.bloomington.in.us
Tue Oct 19 09:55:52 EST 1999

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 09:55:11 -0400, Cathy James <cjames at opensite.com> said:

>	A window manager is the piece of executable code that renders
>stuff on the screen for you, and allows you to open and close
>windows, drag them around, resize them, etc.

Technically the window manager doesn't do any rendering (except for
what are called "window decorations", the little buttons that most
window managers add to the windows so you can make them do things).
Rendering is the responsibility of each individual X client program.

>	I can see how all this could be quite a shock to someone
>coming from the windows world, where there is *one* windows manager,
>*one* desktop, and *one* widget set.

Yup, this is one of the biggest problems people moving to Linux have,
I think.  Don't forget that there are various breeds of X as well, as
well as Y and Berlin out there. :)

Kelly