[techtalk] re: Modem Help

Samantha Jo Moore sjmoore at thetahoegroup.com
Mon Oct 18 20:11:21 EST 1999

> the line in /resolv.conf just read "search"
>
> how should this line read exactly?
>
> would my ISP's nameserver be a number like this....206.222.1.2?
>
> Thanks again, I really need all the help I can get :)

The file /etc/resolv.conf is used by Linux as a directive on where to find
name servers.  The contents of the file should be as follows:

domain <your domain name>
nameserver <IP address of the name server to be consulted first>
nameserver <IP address of the name server to be consulted second (optional)>
nameserver <IP address of the name server to be consulted third (optional)>

As an example, my gateway has the following

domain thetahoegroup.com
nameserver 192.168.1.1
nameserver 207.135.224.247
nameserver 207.135.224.248

Explanation:
The first line defines the domain for which my local name server resolves
host names without a domain.  The second line defines the name server
within my company's LAN.  This name server happens to be the same host
in which this file lives (192.168.1.1).  That name server has the names
of all the hosts in my LAN and their IP addresses which are all in the
range 192.168.*.*.  The third line has the IP address of the primary name
server at my ISP.  This name server is consulted when the local nameserver
can't resolve a name.  I.e. When a workstation in my company's LAN consults
linuxchix.org, that name is not resolved by  192.168.1.1 so the next thing
the name server does is ask 207.135.224.247 for the name.  The last line
has the IP address of yet another name server to consult in case the name
in question is not resolved by either of the first two name servers.

Hope this helps.

Samantha Jo Moore
CTO - The Tahoe Group, Inc.
http://www.thetahoegroup.com