[techtalk] To me it fast becomes a non-technicalissue...(COREL/GIMP/PHOTOSHOP etc.)

Kir Kolyshkin kir at sgp.sever.ru
Sat Oct 16 10:05:54 EST 1999

Steve Kudlak wrote:

> After talking a number of people on line, this always seems like the "vi
> vs. EMACS" debate. In that besides it sounds an awful lot like me saying to
> a vi enthusiast "But vi DOESN'T EVEN TRY TO DO WHAT EMACS can..." it would
> fast become just some weird argument in the technical sense. Like that
> "techie slang term: 'religious war'" This is my conclusion after talking to
> people both on and off the net. Canadian Production Artists seem to love
> the COREL suite and consider it great for day to day art works, and it let
> you do those nice complicated things.
>
> I want to just create neat images easily and quickly; I don't want my
> graphics programs clashing with my other programs. I don't want a
> reasonably large system locking up on me. I'm not necessary shooting for
> 10,000 4-color art mags type of production. I want to publsh to the Web,
> produce jpegs and gifs and the like. I was not shooting for picking my
> PANTONE colors. So THE GIMP doesn't get in my way of image production and
> isn't hard to learn quickly.

Well, there is one VERY important issue - do you need BITMAPPED graphics or
VECTORED one. GIMP, Corel PhotoPaint, Adobe Photoshop are all doing bitmapped
graphics well for us (although my personal favorite is The GIMP), but Corel
Draw! is a vector graphics program, and you can't obtain such functionality
from bitmapped graphics. For example, if you need a logo, it is much better to
draw it as vectors, because later you can scale it as you like without any
quality loss. You can't do that kind of things without vector graphics.
  So GIMP and CorelDRAW! is just programs of different type and one can't mix
it all together or try to compare. Each tool is needed. And there is still no
program like CorelDRAW! in Linux world (except for xfig and the likes, but
they just too simple for me)...so I'm holding my breath for CorelDRAW! for
Linux which is due to release by the end of the year.

Kir.

--
|< ()  http://kir.sever.net kir at sgp.sever.ru kir at sever.net ICQ 7551596
() |_   Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house!