[techtalk] To me it fast becomes a non-technical issue...(COREL/GIMP/PHOTOSHOP etc.)

Steve Kudlak chromexa at ovis.net
Sat Oct 16 05:22:46 EST 1999

After talking a number of people on line, this always seems like the "vi
vs. EMACS" debate. In that besides it sounds an awful lot like me saying to
a vi enthusiast "But vi DOESN'T EVEN TRY TO DO WHAT EMACS can..." it would
fast become just some weird argument in the technical sense. Like that
"techie slang term: 'religious war'" This is my conclusion after talking to
people both on and off the net. Canadian Production Artists seem to love
the COREL suite and consider it great for day to day art works, and it let
you do those nice complicated things.

I want to just create neat images easily and quickly; I don't want my
graphics programs clashing with my other programs. I don't want a
reasonably large system locking up on me. I'm not necessary shooting for
10,000 4-color art mags type of production. I want to publsh to the Web,
produce jpegs and gifs and the like. I was not shooting for picking my
PANTONE colors. So THE GIMP doesn't get in my way of image production and
isn't hard to learn quickly.

And the explanation of colors was better than most book reccommendations
and books IMHO. But after talking to people on the net, people out in the
field, there are some technical issues, but lots of personal ones. From
those like COREL Suite(DRAW, PHOTO-PAINT, DREAM), those who like the as I
have been told COREL Xara is extremely fast and easy to use. Artists,
whether fine or production, or mixed are loyal to their tools and which
tool fits someone best is often a personal issue.

I don't know if I want to inflict a technical group where people are
looking for CODE and sources, and stuff, with a long discussion about this.
ALTHOUGH if someone has built a DUAL-BOOT LINUX and still uses MICROSOFT
for OCCASSIONAL THINGS, like running a "Tested, Trusted Tool ONE DOESN'T
WANT TO GIVE UP..." So ANY DETAILED STORIES OF DUAL-BOOT INSTALLATIONS and
HOW THEY WORKED afterword is FULL GORY DETAIL, well that I would LOVE TO
HEAR.

Also if anyone knows of LINUX ART group where such issues as color systems,
and the like can be discussed, well I'd love to hear that too. But here I
probably should shut up, lurk and learn. Although friends and ex-housemates
predict the failure of the former and maybe the success of the latter.

					Have Fun,
					Sends Steve