[techtalk] whas up wid da GIMP? [from Updated Enlightenment (more @debian, GIMP and COREL DRAW*)]

Walt pippin at fred.net
Fri Oct 15 23:07:49 EST 1999

At 04:45 PM 10/14/99 -0400, Steve Kudlak wrote:
>me the real basics, like how to save an image. But the GUM (Gimp Users
>Manual) at http://www.gimp.org is remarkably easy to understand. And it's
>color section explains things that have been locked away in the heads of
>people at LucasFilm, and not published. Like relations between the RGB (Red
>Green Blue), CMY (Cyan Magenta Yellow) and HSV (Hue Saturation Value)
>systems of Color. It explains all these things. Now all it has to do is

I'm confused about the usefulness of explaining CMY to RGB to HSV
relations and not supporting it. What is the big BLOCK in the way of
CMYK or LAB(or HSB or HSB or LCH or whatever you wanna call it)
support in GIMP? (Also, why no bitmap mode support?)

Heidelberg's "Color: A little Theory" does so rather excellently
as well. And they're sort of the masters of LAB color. And they're not
even _trying_ to duplicate Photoshop. . .

Sorry :-) don't mind me if I sound a little defensive.  I don't mean to be.
It's just that I'd love to see more Graphics Arts programs for Linux, but
the closest and neatest thing I've seen so far has been Ghostscript and I
don't know that it can provide CMYK separations either!

I mean, people are going to majorly switch to Linux when it offers enough
_advantages_ to them. Stability is a great advantage over win98! But
unfortunately, look at all they have to give up right now. Look it,
average desktop user (both business and home) is going to want to be
compatible with his/her friends/coworkers/clientele. And this just ain't
happening yet.

Walt

-~

    The path to success is paved with good intentions that were
    carried out.
                        Bob Edwards