[techtalk] Updated Enlightenment (more @debian, GIMP and COREL DRAW*)

Steve Kudlak chromexa at ovis.net
Thu Oct 14 16:45:20 EST 1999

At 09:30 AM 10/14/99 -0400, Jenn wrote:
>It works great. I have had it installed for about a week now. Alot of
>changes and ease of use. I like being able to update the menus on the fly.
>It isnt as much of a hog as enlightenment use to be, but you definitly
>need some memory.  I still however *hate* GTK-Perl. I use the word *hate*
>like I would in a sentence to describe Hitler.
>
>On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Norma Armstrong wrote:
>
>> You won't regret it, it works great :)
>>

>>             Norma

>> ************
>> techtalk at linuxchix.org   http://www.linuxchix.org
>>

> "There are two major products to come out of Berkeley - LSD and
>UNIX. I don't believe this to be a coincidence."
>

>************
>techtalk at linuxchix.org   http://www.linuxchix.org

Giggle! Well LSD actually came out of Switzeland (think Helvetica) invented
by nice, kind, fussy, Swiss-German Chemists in Zurich. But yeppers, major
distro came out of Berzerkeley.
Unix came out of Bell Labs in NJ. But FOR ME, it came out to Santa Cruz, CA
where I first learned how to hack (when this was a good term) unix. After
being away for it, and being in the middle of nowhere, mainly lurking and
listening here helps.

I have been always told, but several freinds that Red Hat is the dist I
want to install out here in the middle of Nowhere; but Debian (or @debian
as their logo calls themselves) if I want to "get my hands dirty and do
lots myself"; I find myself hanging between the system programmer ("I don't
want menus! I want power commands!). And somewhere kind of saying well I
really want to use my writing and graphic arts tools kind of first, but
reading this all makes me feel like, well yep "I did that before and I can
do it again."

Speaking of Graphic Arts Debian also has a thing going with COREL and KDE.
Now this is interesting because COREL is kind of the Canadian Modernist:)
alternative to GIMP. It has loads of predefined objects and CLIPART that
make day to day Graphic Design Easy. It is nowhere as Robust and Stable as
GIMP, and believe me this is under Windoz. ANd GIMP was easy to learn,
although that could have been because I had confidant in Santa Cruz to get
me the real basics, like how to save an image. But the GUM (Gimp Users
Manual) at http://www.gimp.org is remarkably easy to understand. And it's
color section explains things that have been locked away in the heads of
people at LucasFilm, and not published. Like relations between the RGB (Red
Green Blue), CMY (Cyan Magenta Yellow) and HSV (Hue Saturation Value)
systems of Color. It explains all these things. Now all it has to do is
have some Raytrace Modules and I'll be happy. Things certainly seem to
activate when you select or click on them. So I use it for more complex
stuff, the colored-sphere brush makes 3-D design of "biological looking" or
actual biomed illustration a bit easier, and the scripts do what you say.

I want to figure out which dist will work for me. I am relearning, mainly
by reading here my unix system background, and I do find one you understand
Unix it does make a lot of sense. It leaves a lot up to you. But Windows
(Windoz to be funny...) takes the I'll do it for you, and so you never
really find out except by intentionally poking around, via the COMMAND
screen (often available in one's C: directory, icon is a Window with
"Command" beneath it... it gives you access to the "dreaded MS DOS" so you
can poke around and find out what's going on). I hope this will help me
once get up to installing LINUX. THIS IS THE MIDDLE OF NOWEHERE...

I know this is broad and vague, but having talked to many people in the
Arts Community, that is what we feel, those of us who are not technophobes,
when we face such questions. This includes people who work in a Fine Arts
way and those work in a COmmercial Universe, and those who have a mix.
Note if you are subscribed to grrltalk please excuse the apparent repeat of
message. It would be good if we could get artists into the technical
community.

					Have Fun,
					Sends Steve