[techtalk] Secure web server...

Vinnie Surmonde drachen at george.he.net
Fri Oct 15 19:07:26 EST 1999

On Sat, 16 Oct 1999 jenn at simegen.com wrote:

> As Vinnie said: apache, check out .htaccess. I *think* that's
> clear-text passwords, I'm not sure. There's almost certainly something
> in the apache documentation for more security - or maybe someone here
> knows something. :)

http only does cleartext -- while I imagine you could do some sort of
random weirdness with scripts (actually, I've seen this, so I don't have
to imagine, unfortunetly) if you are so serious about keeping people with
sniffers out of your site, you probably don't want them sniffing your site
either so you'll want ssl

Vinnie
--
Reality is a formality, an agreed upon set of lies -- J.D. Catron
Obligatory pathetic website at http://george.he.net/~drachen