[techtalk] runlevels & distributions

Gail Allinson gailla at jps.net
Fri Oct 15 12:24:10 EST 1999

Steve Kudlak wrote:

> Curious because everyone I have talked to explictly, and I have made my
> noises I want to install LINUX here, in Wheeling, WV, full of low computer
> knowledge people, I most often here "Go with Red Hat". I am kind of
> checking it out now.
>
> Have Fun,
> Sends Steve

I'm sure for as many folk saying "dead rat" negatively, there are a like
number using the term affectionatley.  I referred to my old CoCo as a
Trash-80, instead of TRS-80, even though it was a good little machine
and I liked it very much.

OTOH, there is rivalry between distros and some of the dead rat stuff
probably comes from Red Hat being so very popular (though you don't see
that it on this list).  In fact in the minds of many non-Linux people,
Red Hat is Linux .  That's just like when I was a little kid, I thought
all small airplanes where Piper Cubs.  Now I run SuSE and fly Cessnas,
so I know better :-)

BTW, the`"go with Red Hat" advice probably comes more from that being
what they are used to and what all their friends have.  If it weren't
for the local support issue, I'd have any number of other distro
recommendations along with Red Hat.

You have some fun, too.  Whatever else it is or isn't, Linux is almost
as much fun as you can have with your clothes on!

Gail