[techtalk] Netscape and Java

Beverly Guillermo bguill at home.com
Wed Oct 13 08:04:16 EST 1999

There are known issues with version 4.51 and 4.61 in the Unix versions of
Netscape.  It's happened with some java code that just wants to hang the
program instead of properly exiting correctly.  I heard the latest
version (4.7) of netscape has fixed it.  Try that or one of the other
available graphical browsers.

Beverly

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, kev wrote:

> Hi,
>
> By far my biggest gripe about using Red Hat 6 is that I have never
> managed to get Java running in Netscape, ie as soon as Netscape (4.51
> and 4.61) smeels Java, it bombs out. Well, sometimes it can take up to a
> minute to crash, but crash it will every time it comes into contact with
> Java.
> I have tried the published fixes. The chkfontpath fix seems to fix it
> for some people, but not for me. I am hearing of more and more people
> having the same problem these days. I have to run Netscape with Java
> disabled, which is a bit of a bind because I sometimes write Java
> applets and so am forced to use Win NT to develop with Java, which is
> quite humiliating :-(
> How does everyone else get on with Netscape and Java (developing and
> browsing)?
>
> cheers,
>
> - Kev

> techtalk at linuxchix.org   http://www.linuxchix.org

Beverly Guillermo                                   [[mezanin]]
bguill at home.com                 http://members.home.com/bguill/