[techtalk] parallel zip drive

Amos Hayes ahayes at polkaroo.net
Wed Oct 6 17:58:36 EST 1999

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Deb Bassett wrote:

> Has anyone had trouble with the configuration for a zip drive under
> Linux??

I can't believe I didn't notice the subject before I posted a question
about what flavour of zip. Duh!

Anyway. Can you post more info?

Which zip drive is it? Is it an original, a zip 100 plus, or a zip 250?

When your linux box is booting, do you see any info about a ppa/imm module
or the zip disk? Is that where you saw the sda4?

If not then I suspect that you either haven't built what you need into the
kernel, you aren't loading the module at boot up, or you are loading the
lp driver before the ppa or imm driver. To solve that last problem you
have to recompile the kernel and choose to make the parrallel port
printing code as a module. Then have the kernel load it after the ppa/imm
module.

At least, this is what I was able to determine from the mini HOWTO. My zip
is an internal SCSI variety.

--
Amos Hayes
ahayes at polkaroo.net