[techtalk] identd and irc servers

Ian Hall-Beyer manuka at nerdherd.net
Sun Nov 28 16:26:06 EST 1999

On 28 Nov 1999 18:25:51 -0000, subb3 at ibm.net wrote:

>Most of the irc servers try to resolve the client identd. Some
>of them do not even allow a connection. How can I fix this problem?
>Where is identd invoked from? Are there any security issues with it?

identd is run from inetd.

Actually, all of them try to resolve identd and most won't allow you to
connect without it. This is to prevent spoofing for the purpose of DoS
attacks. The simple solution is to make sure the service is running,
and if you're behind a NAT layer, set up a masquerading identd (such as
midentd).

-Ian