[techtalk] swaping & upgrading

Robert Kiesling kiesling at ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 23 20:36:39 EST 1999

Hello all,

I'm new to this list, but I do a lot of on-line support, and I'm not that
new to Linux any more.  StarOffice (at least the older versions) used the
Motif toolkit, which can be distributed statically linked.  It takes forever
to load, as you said.  The only thing to do about it would be to install
the complete Motif distribution on your system, but I don't know how you would
tell StarOffice to use the dynamically linked libraries.

Wrt/swap space:  Linux uses a swap partition instead of a swap file.  On a
machine with 64 Mb of memory, you're not likely to see much disk activity,
due to the availability of RAM and Linux's disk caching.  To find out how
much swap space is allocated on the drive, you need to look at the
partition table with fdisk (Linux's, not MS); e.g., fdisk /dev/hda for
an IDE drive, or fdisk /dev/sda for a SCSI drive.

I think the original poster could use rpm -qa to find out what packages
are installed on the system, though I've never done it.  There's also a
"glint" program that provides a more informative interface to the rpm
program.  Take a look at the rpm manual page, and the output of rpm --help.

There are a lot of sites that talk about Linux on Apples.  Take a look at
the Linux FAQ at the URL below (the lower one).

I was going to answer this off-list, because I've seen these questions
come up lots of times, but there seems to be a lot of people here who
haven't looked at the newsgroups, or done heavy surfing, etc.  So I
hope I'm not being tooo intrusive... I do a lot of on-line support, if
you couldn't tell!

Take care,

Robert

http://www.mainmatter.com/