[techtalk] bind problem...and a sendmail one, too

Jeff Dike jdike at karaya.com
Sun Nov 14 22:58:38 EST 1999

> Is there something I am missing here? Here's what I have:
> crond.pid (according to /var/run/crond.pid) is 328

I was trying to be fancy with the "-e trace=network" bit.  It looks like the
interesting system calls aren't captured by "trace=network".

Try this: strace -p <cron pid> -f -o strace.out

Let the error happen, then look in strace.out for a
write(..., "Address already in use", ...),
look for the syscall just before it that returned EADDRINUSE or 98, look
operations that happened on the file descriptor that the error happened on.

Those will tell you something about what's going on with that socket.

I don't at all guarantee that this will tell you what you're really interested
in knowing, but you find out lots of stuff that you didn't know about :-)

				Jeff