[techtalk] dual boot NT/linux

Agata Rawdanik agatka at megsinet.net
Tue Nov 9 18:57:50 EST 1999

I don't know what your problem was, but when I installed linux on my machine
(with win95/NT on it) the swap partition shifted the partition numbers and I
got something like that : "Windows NT could not start because the following
file is missing or corrupt: <winnt root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe Please
reinstall a copy of the above file.".  There is very simple solution to it.
You have to open boot.ini file and change the partition number
[multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation Version
4.00"] probably to the next one. If it doesn't work just keep changing them.
You will get the rigth one sooner or later. If this wasn't the same problem,
then i don't know :-)
Anyway, you can double boot with windows, just remeber that lilo has to be
below 1024'th cylinder.
Good luck.

Agata