[techtalk] Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 13:19:57 -0500

Dakota Surmonde drachen at george.he.net
Sun Nov 7 12:53:46 EST 1999

there's a school of thought that says external is the way to go...if so,
make sure you have a decent serial port if you want any sort of speed
(details on request, or someone else should have them..I just woke up,
it's too early to remember numbers :P )

personally, I find internal, ISA non-pnp modems work just fine. Jumpers
are good things. My current modem is a USR 56k, but the computer store I
used to work at sold generic jumper-set ISAs for around $50 that worked
just as well (I paid nearly $120 for this modem..I'm not sure it was worth
*that* much :) )

the important part is to avoid PNP and to avoid winmodems like the plaugue
they are.

Vinnie

--
a safe place for all of the pieces that scatter
learn to pretend there's more than love that matters - e saliers