[techtalk] 6.1 install, the undead

Marie Fischer fmarie at eau.ee
Tue Nov 2 01:00:09 EST 1999

Hi!

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, Tonya Winter wrote:

> One of the reasons I wanted to upgrade is that I can't seem to mount the CD
> ROM. I have tried many different pieces of advice. The most frequently
> suggested being "type mount /dev/hdc/cdrom (or whatever your cdrom is
> usually hdc but maybe hdb or ?)" When I type that command in any form I get
> "can't find /dev/hdc/cdrom in /etc/mtab or /etc/fstab"
I would suggest you try
	"mount /dev/cdrom" or
	"mount /dev/hdc" or
	"mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom -t iso9660"

You might also have a look at your /etc/fstab file - it should have rows
like:
/dev/cdrom     /mnt/cdrom      iso9660 exec,dev,nosuid,ro,noauto,users 0 0
/dev/hdd       /mnt/cdrom      iso9660 exec,dev,nosuid,ro,noauto,users 0 0

anyway, /dev/cdrom is just a symlink for /dev/hdd in my system ... and
/dev/hdd (yes, you guessed it!) is where my cd drive is.

Sorry if this has been answered already, i'm new to the list ... :-/

marie, just trying to help