[techtalk] Filename star

Subba Rao subb3 at attglobal.net
Tue Dec 28 22:11:42 EST 1999

I have noticied a meta character named file in the root's home directory and another user's
home directory. They were created on December 23rd. The file ownership permissions are
perfectly normal. The dreaded meta-character is '*'.

To remove this I did,

$ rm -i *

and got rid of it. I cannot imagine doing,

$ rm *

I don't know how this file got created. What is the best way to trace the creation
of such files? I want to know the process that is creating it. External login is impossible
to this box. It has to be one of the several tools I have downloaded and compiled.
How do you search for files, with meta characters as their names?

Any tips, ideas and experiences appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Subba Rao
subb3 at attglobal.net
http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/

 => Time is relative. Here is a new way to look at time. <=
http://www.smcinnovations.com