[techtalk] Generic Question

Jenn V. jenn at simegen.com
Wed Dec 29 02:33:34 EST 1999

Robert Kiesling wrote:

> "Jenn V." <jenn at simegen.com> wrote:
> > But yes, sysadminning requires a 'never act in panic' state of
> > mind.
>
> Does that mean it's like being married?

Hmm. Interesting question.

I think being married is 'never speak thoughtlessly' and sysadminning
is 'never type thoughtlessly'. So they're similar. :)

> Really, I wasn't trying to be
> rude.... Unix requires a different frame of mind than M$ Windows or
> DOS.

I didn't think you were. And yes, it definately does.

> But systems are different and it's difficult to give good,
> generic advice.  If you were to have worked as a sysadmin in the
> era/on the hardware that are described in the article that Telsa
> referred to (which is one of my favorites, btw), you'd very likely
> already have used 'sh' and 'echo' to restore a copy of the root file
> system's superblock from one of it's backup locations.  :)

Trainee, but not as sysadmin myself, on machines from that era.

Jenn V.
--
  "We're repairing the coolant loop of a nuclear fusion reactor.
   This is women's work!"

Jenn Vesperman    jenn at simegen.com     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn