[techtalk] Generic Question

Jenn V. jenn at simegen.com
Wed Dec 29 01:33:33 EST 1999

Robert Kiesling wrote:

> But not very much, since sysadminning requires experience as well as
> the ability to read the instructions.  (If not exactly nerves of
> steel, if the folks on alt.sysadmin.recovery are to be taken
> seriously.  Make mine extra dry, please.)
>
> To answer your question: I suppose it would depend on the state of the
> backups and the utilites that were still present on the system.  (Of
> course, on *modern* systems, we all have boot/root disks at the ready,
> right?).

Uhhh....

But we do have three linux machines, all duplicates of the others.
And while I can't put my hands on my boot disk without thinking, I
know which husband/hacker had his hands on it and 'put it down
somewhere'.

But yes, sysadminning requires a 'never act in panic' state of
mind.

And always remember that users (even ones who know better) just
want to be told 'it wasn't anything you did' and 'I'll take care
of it'. If you tell people those two things, with a calm and
competent look about you, they'll usually leave you alone long
enough to panic quietly in your office - and then and only AFTER
the panic has faded - get to work.
(If it was their fault, chew them out afterwards. If you tell
them its their fault right away, they'll hover in the doorway
apologising. The emergency is NOT the time for apologies!)

And in emergencies use Scotty's trick - estimate twice the amount
of time you think you'll need. You'll wind up using it.
But only in emergencies. If you do it all the time, people assume
you'll use half your estimate.

Jenn V.
--
  "We're repairing the coolant loop of a nuclear fusion reactor.
   This is women's work!"

Jenn Vesperman    jenn at simegen.com     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn