[techtalk] Generic Question

Robert Kiesling kiesling at localhost.ix.netcom.com
Tue Dec 28 09:16:34 EST 1999

Telsa Gwynne <hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 27, 1999 at 05:37:23PM -0500 or thereabouts, Robert Kiesling wrote:
> > There are some skills that I'm not sure where they're documented...
> > like telnetting in to a jammed-up POP server, or concocting a
> > regular expression to adjust every users' ~/.profile.
>
> ....or approaches you might take when you discover someone with the
> root password just did rf -rm * in the root directory?
>
> Slightly off the original topic, this.

But not very much, since sysadminning requires experience as well as
the ability to read the instructions.  (If not exactly nerves of
steel, if the folks on alt.sysadmin.recovery are to be taken
seriously.  Make mine extra dry, please.)

To answer your question: I suppose it would depend on the state of the
backups and the utilites that were still present on the system.  (Of
course, on *modern* systems, we all have boot/root disks at the ready,
right?).

Robert