[techtalk] Mounting CD's and Floppies/Using Control Panel

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Dec 21 21:51:22 EST 1999

Excerpts from linuxchix: 20-Dec-99 [techtalk] Mounting CD's an.. by
GJS at yahoo.com
> 1) Mounting CD's and floppies in X from my user account.
>
> I can mount these with the mount tool but not copy from either
> or write to the floppy, not even if I su - and try it again. I
> can mount both from a wterm but only if I su - first. However, I
> still can't write/copy.

Note that you can't write to a cd as if it was a regular filesystem,
even if it's a cdrw or cdr.

(What do you mean by X and wterm? Are you trying to mount it with
something other than the 'mount' command?)

> The permissions on both the cd and floppy directories are
> drwx rwx r-x    owner: root     group: root.

> The permissions on the mount command are -rws r-x r-w
> owner: root     group: root.

Sure its not
  -rwsr-xr-x   1 root     root
?

> The fstab file is
> /dev/fd0   /mnt/floppy   ext2   sync,nosuid,users,noauto,nodev 0 0
> /dev/cdrom   /mnt/floppy   ext2   suid,users,noauto,exec,nodev,ro 0 0

For the cdrom line, the ext2 here should be iso9660.  Might also be a
good idea to mount it somewhere other than /mnt/floppy, in case you want
a floppy and cd mounted at the same time.

Floppies are also not always the ext2 filesystem.  I'm guessing that you
might be trying to read a dos floppy.  Personally, I use mtools for
those (which you can use as a user if you have permissions on /dev/fd0),
but you can also try changing the ext2 in the floppy line to msdos or
vfat.