[techtalk] modules and xconfig

Jamie Walker jj.walker at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Dec 21 13:08:52 EST 1999

Kelly Lynn Martin wrote:

> >image plus initrd can fit on a floppy-sized image. In our case, the
> >limit to kernel size is about 520k or thereabouts.
>
> Is that the size after bzipping?  My current kernel is 422k bzipped,
> and I don't have _everything_ moduled out that I possibly could,
> although certainly I do have a lot of it...

Yep. We have to have a lot of stuff in there for the machines to be able
to bootup; we have lots of different hardware. We need a lot of network
drivers in particular compiled directly into the kernel.

--
Phone: +64-9-373-7599 x4679     Room: 2.316, School of Engineering
 Work: jj.walker at auckland.ac.nz Home: jamiew at clear.net.nz
  ICQ: 5632563			or shout loudly