[techtalk] Glint (was: RedHat newbie question)

GJS g_jay_s at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 20 11:17:56 EST 1999

--- Caitlyn Martin <caitlyn at netferrets.net> wrote:

> Glint was only in Red Hat 5.2 and below.  It was superceded by
> GnoRPM in
> 6.0.  In 6.1 you have a choice between GnoRPM and kpackage.  I
> find kpackage
> the easiest and most flexible front end to RPM.

I had an unpleasant experience with kpackage in KDE 1.1.1. I was
removing unneeded packages after an installation, secure in the
knowledge (so I thought) that kpackage would warn me if I was
removing something with a dependancy on it.  I soon found this
not to be the case. Just to be sure, I removed netscape-common
(without removing navigator first) to see if I'd get a warning
message. Kpackage removed n-c without so much as a word of
protest.

Perhaps there's something funny about my system or maybe there
was a bug in kpackage that's been fixed in KDE 1.1.2. However, I
stopped using kpackage and have been using gnorpm without
problems.

=====
Glen Strom
g_jay_s at yahoo.com