[techtalk] Foreign keyboards in X?

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolmt at smart.net.au
Fri Dec 17 16:21:11 EST 1999

On Fri, Dec 17, 1999 at 04:29:43AM +0100, Sunnanvind wrote:
> Hello everybody (this might be a resend, my email program is superweird). My
> swedish keyboard works super in the text mode, but less grand in X. Can anyone
> please tell me how to remedy this? Needless to say, it is quite annoying to
> have ? at _, / at - and so on.

You have to play around with the xmodmap settings a bit (this just allows you
to remap the codes the keyboard gives to produce different keystrokes for X).
While you can manually work all this out (man xmodmap is interesting reading),
it is not always a lot of fun. More interesting is Jamie Zawinski's xkeycap
program which you can get from http://www.jwz.org/xkeycaps/

This program gives a graphical layout of your keyboard and allows you to
select how you want to alter things. It takes a little playing with it to make
things perfect, but it is probably easier than the manual method.

Malcolm Tredinnick

--
Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains?