[techtalk] Foreign keyboards in X?

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Fri Dec 17 05:04:00 EST 1999

On Fri, Dec 17, 1999 at 04:29:43AM +0100 or thereabouts, Sunnanvind wrote:
> Hello everybody (this might be a resend, my email program is superweird). My

Didn't see an earlier one.

> swedish keyboard works super in the text mode, but less grand in X. Can
> anyone please tell me how to remedy this? Needless to say, it is quite
> annoying to have ? at _, / at - and so on.

You should have xmodmap installed, which can fix this. A much nicer
way to do it is to get xkeycaps from www.jwz.org/xkeycaps/ which is
a graphical frontend to xmodmap where you scroll through a bunch of
pictures of keyboard layouts and say "yes, I want that one", or
say "I've got that one and want to fiddle with it" and click on the
ones you want to change.

It might be installed already: I don't know which distributions
carry it.

It will give you (flicking through the page) a choice of at least
twenty keyboards with Swedish layouts, so you might well like it. :)

Telsa, missing her DEC vt240 keyboard.