[techtalk] POP mail

Di Gregory di at sleepy.giant.net
Wed Dec 15 16:42:16 EST 1999

THanks,
Doesn't quite help though.  The cable connection I have at home is
roadrunner, and like I said, I will probably cancel it sometime since I
have a free dialup through work.  The dialup through work is actually a
watered-down AOL account - it uses AOL's network but not the client, and
has no email (and I detest AOL's email client anyways).  Therefore I
don't have the option to dial up or connect with cable.

For our corporate email, we use Iplanet webtop and have a java or HTML
client that you use through a browser.  It's all IMAP, and works fine.
I'd like to use a "real" client though with my personal email.  Pine is
great, but doesn't work very well with editing the text, and doesn't have
nifty features like calendar, extended address book, or linking with
Palm.  And I'm constantly yelling at people for sending me HTML messages.

The thing that really got me, is that when I hooked up my old roommate's
email through POP, the school's servers will send it if you're not dialed
up into them, but when he sent an email, the receiver's server somehow
sensed that he was relaying it from another domain, through the school's
SMTP server.