[techtalk] X Display

T. E. Pickering tim at astro.rug.nl
Thu Dec 9 05:35:46 EST 1999

> By changing the current configuration, I will be loosening the security of
> X windows, but I do need other users to be able to use the same display
> at the same time. How do I accomplish that? What files do I need to change?

the quick and dirty is to invoke "xhost +localhost".  however, that
usually expires after a time.  a more elegant solution is to mess
around with the import and export files in ~/.xauth.  to let anyone's
account work when you su, do:

echo '*' > ~/.xauth/export

to just add specific users, do:

echo 'beavis
butthead' > ~/.xauth/export

see 'man pam_xauth' for more details and examples.

tim

|  Tim Pickering                 |     Kapteyn Institute, Postbus 800  |
|  tim at astro.rug.nl              | 9700 AV Groningen, The Netherlands  |
|  http://www.astro.rug.nl/~tim/ |                    +31-50-363-6519  |
Love -- the last of the serious diseases of childhood.