[techtalk] file transfer question

Emily Cartier cartieel at flyernet.udayton.edu
Mon Dec 6 11:22:08 EST 1999

Ok, this is a case of "I know what I want to do, so what is the best way
to do it?". I'm up to two machines that run linux at least some of the
time. Neither can do 'net access under Linux at the moment, but one can
do it under Win95. I have a nice long list of things that need to be
updated, and it's easy to download the files under Win95. So... What
would be the best way to make these various updates visible to Linux?

Machine A:
has modem working under Win95
has Linux
has separate partition where downloads are saved
has NE2000 compatible network card
floppy drive

Machine B:
has Linux w/ Samba installed
has SMC ethernet card w/plug and play on the ISA bus
floppy drive

I can see many ways of doing this:
1. set up Machine A to read the download partition under Linux
2. set up TCP/IP network btw Linux boxes and use FTP
3. set up Machine A's download partition as a shared drive, and do a
network involving samba to transfer files to Machine B
4. transfer the files by floppies
5. say the heck with it and find a Cheapbytes or Infomagic CDROM with an
archive of Sunsite

Options that can be clearly explained and would increase my experience
and understanding of Linux are my personal preference. Best way in this
case means "the most chance to learn about the guts of something new and
get what I need done done". Option 5 is my least favorite, because I
already know how to do it.

Emily