[techtalk] Problems with vi

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Dec 3 20:32:53 EST 1999

Excerpts from linuxchix: 3-Dec-99 Re: [techtalk] Problems wit.. by
lilith at paxumbrae.com
> Thanks, I'll look into that, but I should have mentioned earlier that I am
> trying to use the text mode of vim. :/ I have vi linked to vim, and I
> thought to use it as X, I needed to issue xvim instead.

Strange.  My vim seems to start in text mode by default.  Maybe your
other users have vi linked to something else?  Have you tried unsetting
the $DISPLAY environment variable?  Lots of stuff starts in X if it sees
a $DISPLAY and text if it doesnt.

Syntax in tcsh or csh is:

  unsetenv DISPLAY

not sure what it is on other shells.  Someone else can probably fill
that in if you need it.