[techtalk] Home pages for regular users

Adriana Gonzalez adriana at hq.mycity.com
Thu Dec 2 20:34:34 EST 1999

Kathleen Weaver wrote:

> >How can my other users on this system, have their own web pages?
> >I want them to have their own directories and HTML documents (in their
> >$HOME directories). I may allow simple CGI programs.
>
> Have them create a directory called public_html
>
> Their "home page" should be in a file called index.html or index.htm
>
> Any files should be set with 755 permission -- (use chmod 755 file.name)
>
> Their webpages will be at server/~userid
>
> I think they just put in a cgi_bin directory -- you may need to do something in the apache configuration  but I haven't gotten this far.

You need to have something like this in your httpd.conf

UserDir public_html                                   #This will tell apache which are the user's web dirs

<Directory "/home/*/public_html/">          #These are the "permissions" for the directories.
    AllowOverride None
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
    Order deny,allow
   Allow from All
</Directory>

<Directory "/home/*/public_html/cgi_bin">
    AllowOverride None
    Options ExecCGI
    Order deny,allow
    Allow from all
</Directory>

The way that is set, it will allow everybody to see the public_html dirs, but only the things in the cgi_bin
will be executable.

The apache's documentation is pretty good.  Mine is installed in:
/usr/local/apache/htdocs/manual.
You should check yours for details.

-adriana

--