[prog] replacement strings

Monique Y. Mudama monique at bounceswoosh.org
Mon May 24 19:10:36 UTC 2010

On Mon, May 24 at 19:05, Miriam English penned:

> I've been spending hours trying to find something that does the same
> thing as TextPad's join command. (I really want to get rid of my
> need for wine.)
>
> It joins highlighted text into single lines, keeping paragraphs
> distinct. The closest I've been able to find is the fmt command
> (part of the Gnu coreutils, and should be in most linuxes).
> Unfortunately that has an upper limit of 2,500 characters in a
> paragraph, which is unrealistic when trying to reformat some texts,
> especially old ones where most of a page might be a single
> paragraph.

I have the following defined for vim when I'm in an e-mail context:

map <C-J> :let old_tw = &tw<CR>:set tw=72<CR>gqap:let &tw=old_tw<CR>

It should do what you want when you type control + j.  You can change
72 to be whatever line length you prefer.  Or if you'd rather use
whatever line length is currently defined, you can just do the gqap
part.

I found some details here:
http://openwall.info/wiki/internal/vimrc

--