[prog] Starting from scratch with PHP

chris lists at semioticpixels.com
Fri Sep 29 23:29:10 UTC 2006

Hi Katrina,
for naming conventions and general code practices, you might want to
take a look at "Small Talk Best Practice Patterns" by Kent Beck. Even
though it uses Small Talk for the coding examples, it's applicable to
most languages.

For php-specifics I'd recommend looking at the Wrox book: "Professional
php 5" which covers writing php in an OO fashion and an overview of
using php in various design patterns.

Another decent php book is Bruce Perens' "PHP 5 Power Programming"

For examples of good php code in open source projects ... hmm ... I
can't think of any off the top of my head. Maybe take a look at
Textpattern http://textpattern.com/ I don't remember what the code looks
like, but Dean Allen is a respected coder.

You might want to just cruise through Sourceforge and take a look at
some of the newer projects since php5 seems to mark a greater attention
to code quality.

hth
chris