[prog] Copying Perl modules

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Mon May 22 04:30:15 EST 2006

On 21-May-06, at 12:32 PM, David Sumbler wrote:
> My question is this: if I want to add extra modules, is it possible to
> find out exactly which files belong to the module, and just copy them
> from my PC?  Or is it just naive of me to think that might be
> possible?

Jacinta made a much more complete reply than I did, but for the
straight perl modules, the answer is yes, and it's fairly easy -- often
there's just one file: Modulename.pm.  So if, for some reason, you
wanted to do CGI handling on your handheld, you'd copy over CGI.pm to
an appropriate location and away you'd go.  Any other files associated
with that module you might need are going to be in the CGI/
subdirectory. (eg: if you were using CGI::Pretty then you'd want
CGI/Pretty.pm too)

Of course, doing things this way means you've got to handle
dependencies on your own, but while boring, it's not usually *too*
hard.

(I used CGI as an example because I've had students have to do this
with the CGI module because they were working on machines where it
wasn't installed or wouldn't work for some reason.)