[prog] Copying Perl modules

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Mon May 22 03:12:38 EST 2006

David Sumbler wrote:
> I have a Psion 5mx hand-held computer - these are no longer made, but
> it is an excellent little machine.  It runs the Symbian EPOC OS.
>
> I have installed a port of Perl on to it, which comes with a
> considerable number of Perl modules.
>
> My question is this: if I want to add extra modules, is it possible to
> find out exactly which files belong to the module, and just copy them
> from my PC?  Or is it just naive of me to think that might be
> possible?

The answer is it depends on the module.  Perl has (in general) two kinds of
modules:  pure Perl modules and XS modules.  Pure Perl modules are modules which
consist only of Perl source and may be copied at will (although make sure you
either put them in the standard Perl library paths, or tell Perl where to find
them).

XS modules are ones which include some C code as well.  For example Text:CSV_XS
(although most modules don't advertise the XS component in their names).  These
modules must be compiled for the platform they are running on.  This has to do
with binary incompatibilities.

In your specific case I believe that both Storable and YAML are pure perl so you
should be fine.  But don't believe me on this as it's 3am and thus time for me
to go to sleep, so I didn't spend much time checking.

all the best,

	Jacinta

--
   ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._          |  Jacinta Richardson         |
    `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)  |  Perl Training Australia    |