[prog] How does linuxchix work? (Mailing list software)

Gareth Anderson somecsstudent at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 22:36:15 EST 2005

Hi everyone,

This might be the wrong place to ask, but I think a programming list
is a good place to start :)

Currently as a project at Monash University (3rd year Computer
Science), we are planning to implement a mailing list management
system.

Our requirements are more simplistic than something like Linuxchix,
but there may be some things in common.

Bascially, a website frontend in PHP.
There will be admins who can add/edit/delete users or lists.
Users who can only update the lists they are subscribed too already
and of course change their email address.

The requirements are effectively up in the air at the moment, but I'm
wondering if theres a good place to start looking.

I note that linuxchix uses software, called "mailman" (I think).

I assume that its this software:
http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/

When faced with a relatively large project like this (where I am not
familiar with for example security in php or anything), where should I
start?
Should I be examining existing mail software (briefly, not reading their code)?
Or should I simply begin researching implementation options? (after a
lot of the decision making is complete).

Thanks,
Gareth