[prog] Python DB Front-end Project

Don Parris webdev at matheteuo.org
Wed Jun 29 03:23:23 EST 2005

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:16:21 +0530
Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at thenilgiris.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 28 Jun 2005 5:58 pm, Sue Stones wrote:
> > It sounds like your project is similar to PHPMyAdmin, is that the
> > sort of thing.  What is your reason for developing this system?
> >  What is it aiming to achieve?
>
> i think he means that he has an application which uses mysql as for a
> database and python for the ui - interesting, as it is the first time
> i have seen someone using console for ui - usually go in for
> something X-based like qt, gtk and the like
>
> --
> regards
> kg

Well, I'm working on a church administration database application.  In fact,
the back-end is called "CHADDB".  I realize some people may not want to work
on a project like this, and that's fine.  For those who find the subject
altogether frightening, I promise to stick to the technical discussion - I
always do.  That said...

There is a Java front-end in development, but some people object to Java,
especially Windows admins I know and the FSF.  I chose to start with a
console UI because some ministries, especially overseas and in rural areas,
may have low-end hardware that GUI-fied apps would bog down.  Also,
Installing Python is much easier than installing Apache, PHP, or Java and
Tomcat.  I plan to graduate to the GUI after I get the console front-end up
and running.

It would be a small matter to install Python and run a script.  Thus, people
don't need to have special skills.  At the same time, I get some real
hands-on with basic programming skills.  I have a difficult time with
programming, especially, passing arguments and variables around from one
function to another.  I probably need to do some exercises in line-by-line
analysis.

So far, with the help of the Python Tutor list and a co-worker who
occasionally provides some instruction, I've managed to get a solid menu
system in place, and can run some queries, printing the results to the
console, and to a file, which I then print.  However, the file contains
pickled data, when I really need a neatly formatted, printable report.  I'm
working with the Tutor list on this issue now.

Several things need to happen as I progress:
<> Define indexes on the MySQL table structure
<> Define the more complicated queries on the front-end
<> Create the input mechanism so users can insert data
<> Create the update mechanism
<> Create a mecanism to allow custom reports

Obviously, if I can cut/paste some of this stuff into the GUI version later,
that's a plus.  If not, it's no big deal to me - I'm not tied to a budget
or a schedule.  If anyone is interested in contributing to the project,
great.  If not, I'll be just as happy to learn to do it myself. :)

I will end with one question.  Would it be useful for me to do some
line-by-line analyses of other projects (with someone checking my analysis)?
Will that help me to solidify my understanding of the concepts I have
difficulty with?  Or would that be a time waster?

Don
--
evangelinux    GNU Evangelist
http://matheteuo.org/                   http://chaddb.sourceforge.net/