[prog] tracing tools (was: bash: string comparisons...)

Almut Behrens almut-behrens at gmx.net
Sat May 8 14:28:20 EST 2004

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 06:17:15PM +0200, Riccarda Cassini wrote:
> Almut Behrens wrote:
> >     (After unpacking, type 'make' to compile it. You'll probably have
> >     to uncomment the line '# include "ioctls.h"' in trace.c, as
> >     mentioned in the README -- if anything should go wrong, you can
>
> Tried compiling trace for HP-UX:
> Without uncommenting the line '# include "ioctls.h", I in fact do get
> some errors.  When I uncomment the line, it builds fine.
> However, are you really sure that none of the stuff in the file is
> needed - it contains about 400 fprintf()s... are they just for fun?
> Just wondering ;-)

The problem is your heroine can't read ;)

What the README really says is to comment out _individual lines_ in
ioctls.h that are failing to compile. If you comment out the whole
file, it does compile, but you'll have lost much of the functionality!

In other words, you're absolutely right!!  I did not test anything
beyond the build phase -- just wanted to see whether you might
encounter any problems compiling it...

Almut