[prog] Converting definitions into 'on the fly' code...

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Wed May 5 22:11:45 EST 2004

On Tuesday 04 May 2004 21:19, Conor Daly wrote:
> This is an interesting one for me but comes with a few caveats.  Well, one
> really; "Large amounts of complexity are to be avoided".
>
> We're working on writing a major, integrated, future proof quality control
> (QC) system.
>
> The setup:
>
> Large database of weather data in many tables.
> The same datatype (eg. dry bulb 2m temperature) may exist in different
> tables with different column names depending on source and date.
>
> The question:
>
> Is there an easy way to translate a test (defined somewhere) into the code
> to run that test while the program is running?

Conor,

I'm still trying to understand exactly what you are after.  I think perhaps
you mean:

"Is there a way of writing a program so that new tests can be easily created
with new datasets, without any (real) programming being required?"

If this is what you mean, then my answer is categorically (particularly given
the desire to avoid large amounts of complexity) to use your intepreted
language of choice.  My choice (when I have one) is Python.

If this is what you mean, I can put together a quick sample app in Python,
since I've done something very similar already.  Let me know.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--
Rasjid Wilcox