[prog] C and curly braces - question of style?

Diggy Bell diggy at dbsoftdev.com
Sun Aug 22 15:55:09 EST 2004

Hey Angelina,

I'm probably going to set myself up to be torched here, but braces are
something that I generally see as a matter of personal style.  Everybody has
their own personal tastes and I think this is one that shouldn't be such a
religions battle.

There are a few suggestions that you might want to keep in mind.  First, if
you're working by yourself it doesn't make much difference, but if you're
working with a team of people it really helps if everybody uses the same
style.  Second, whatever style you do choose, be consistent through our your
code.  Sometimes this means taking a few minutes to reformat code, but its
well worth it in the long run.  Finally, I strongly suggest that people use
braces even in cases where they aren't necessary.  You don't need them on a
for() loop or if() statement if there is a single line of code, but when you
accidentally leave the braces out.

In terms of the 'best' way, it doesn't make any difference to the compiler
so there isn't really a wrong way.

Hope this helps...

Diggy