[prog] VSS to CVS -- looking for experiences and argumentation help

dominik schramm dominik.schramm at gmxpro.net
Fri Apr 23 12:34:06 EST 2004

Hi,

Rachel McConnell <rachel at xtreme.com> writes:

> An open source project usually has its updates organized by desire -
> that is, I will make changes to a particular file if that's the one
> I want to fix or alter.  This is (or should be!) different from an
> organization's process where tasks are assigned to different
> programmers or teams. [...]

This is a good point, I haven't thought of this.
However, I'm thinking of a large project like Mozilla right now, and
there every module has (one or more?) maintainers who coordinate the
commits to CVS. This means that also in large Open Source projects
-- at least that's the impression I get from reading the contributing
how-tos -- there is rarely such a thing as completely uncoordinated
CVS access, where everybody fixes bugs at will and conflicts arise on
a very short-term basis. Is this correct?  Could the project even
survive if commits were unorganized?

> That said, in my very small organization where we do admittedly do a
> certain amount of bugfix by desire, I've never seen a conflict that
> took more than 5 minutes to resolve, and most are far less than
> that.

That's what I expected.
It's pretty uncommon, too, that two developers make considerable
modifications on one and the same file without the team leader's
knowing.

thanks for the comments so far,
dominik