[prog] [Fwd: [svp] Re: Book Recommendation for OOP Design]

Darlene Wallach wallachd at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 5 15:28:41 EST 2004

-------- Original Message --------
From: Alex Chaffee <alex at jguru.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 11:53:12 -0400
Subject: [svp] Re: Book Recommendation for OOP Design

Elizabeth -

_Refactoring_ changed my life.  Other than that, I agree that
most if not all of the OO books are overly abstract and/or
large-scale to be of much use as a primer.  In addition to
_Refactoring_, I advise meditating on the definition of an Object:

An Object encapsulates State and Behavior.

This may sound new-agey and hokey, but my biggest conceptual
breakthroughs with OO have turned out to be merely remembering
and applying the above.  I know that that's the sort of advice
that, to an expert, reminds him of lessons learned, but to a
beginner, is just vague and truistic enough to be frustrating... :-)

  - Alex