[Fwd: RE: [svp] [Fwd: [prog] Book Recommendation for OOP Design]]

Darlene Wallach wallachd at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 5 15:26:54 EST 2004

-------- Original Message --------
From: Mitchell, David [CC] <david.mitchell at mail.sprint.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 09:27:04 -0500
Subject: RE: [svp] [Fwd: [prog] Book Recommendation for OOP Design]

I'm also a big fan of Beck's style. The cook's tour references an
earlier work that was very influential to me:

Beck, Kent, _Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns_, Prentice Hall, 1996

I read a pattern a day from this book while I was working on my
first Smalltalk project. Trouble is, if you aren't working in
Smalltalk, the code examples will seem strange. And, since it is
primarily a book about coding, that hurts.

When I read Fowler's Refactoring, I noticed many of its
refactoring patterns were adapted from Beck's earlier work. And,
the example code is in Java. I highly recommend Refactoring as
your next book as it is very approachable and really focuses on
the design through code.

A less popular Java book that was also influenced by Beck is:

Langr, Jeff, _Essential Java Style, Patterns for Implementation_,
Prentice Hall, 1999

Quoting the author from the introduction:

"The bulk of the patterns described are the same as those
contained within Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns."

In other words, what if you took the titles and structure of the
Smalltalk book, and rewrote it for Java. This book was helpful to
me, but I don't think it is as well written as _Refactoring_ and
has not attracted the same audience. Also, he gets off track a
bit when he gets to collections (Smalltalkers have a hard time
accepting Java idioms for collections.)

As to Shalloway's _Design Patterns Explained_, I like this book a
lot. Very readable and introduces 10 or so of the patterns very
clearly. I think its treatment of the Bridge pattern is quite
lucid. However, I am not sure it is the best next book for you,
as its examples are also from the "large system" mold (CAD/CAM
machine tooling).

I guess I'm presuming that you are using Java. Is this true, or
is it something else?

--David Mitchell
david.mitchell at mail.sprint.com