[prog] C++ Inheritance - just some musings

Sue Stones suzo at bigpond.net.au
Tue May 27 16:57:38 EST 2003

On Mon, 26 May 2003 19:32, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> How very odd.  I'd only ever been told that you needed to be good at
> maths for CS.  Learning languages really doesn't have much to do with CS
> as far as I can tell, considering that any natural language is going to
> be much more irregular than any computer language.  And I'm not sure
<....>

Well maybe its along the lines of those who think Maths ability goes with an
ability to learn languages.  It certainly doesn't in my case.  Although
someone once told me that it is a different approach to maths.  Those with
language ability can *learn formulae*.  I am of the type that has to let
everything become intuative.  That is I have to fully understand it, then the
formula just comes from thinking about it logically.

Also I am talking about the 70's.  In those days people carried around piles
of paper cards, so perhaps CS was taught diferently back then.  It is not
that functional programming wasn't aroud, but perhaps it wasn't well
understood.

sue