[prog] C++ Inheritance - just some musings

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Mon May 26 12:28:05 EST 2003

On Mon, 26 May 2003, Sue Stones wrote:
>It seems that a lot of people like this "cookbook" approach to learning.  I
>prefer the logical explanation ... "this is how it works and why"  looking at
>code as an illistration of this is very helpfull, but just looking at code,
>and changing it is a VERY slow way for me to learn.
>
>I am curious as to wheter this learning style has any connection to learning
>languages.  I am extreemly bad at learning languages, but maths (and anatomy)
>are a diferent matter all together.   I was put off from attempting CS for 20
>years because I was told that I needed to be good at languages.

I personally don't see any relationship between programming languages and
human languages.  Programming languages is more concentrated on the
written form.  While human languages concentrate more on the speaking
form.  Though the most effective technique for learning languages is still
the same, i.e. by using it.

I think the preference between the 'cookbook' and 'textbook' approach to
learning programming languages is based on personality.  For me, its a
matter of when the knowledge is acquired.  With the 'textbook' approach,
you acquire the knowledge upfront.  I.e. you understand the concept before
you have working code.  With the 'cookbook' approach, you have working
code before you understand how it works.

For me, the disadvantage of the 'textbook' approach is the potential for
non-working code.  If I can't get something to work in an hour or so, I
give up and go away for a week.  This potential for problems causes me to
opt for something that works upfront, and then learn how it works later,
at a slower rate.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org