[prog] C++ Inheritance - just some musings

Sue Stones suzo at bigpond.net.au
Mon May 26 14:55:33 EST 2003

On Sun, 25 May 2003 10:42, Jimen Ching wrote:
<...>
> What really helped me out was the availability of other people's source
> code.  For the first few years, I didn't really write any original C++
> code.  Most of the code I wrote were based on other people's C++ code.
>
> This is why I support free software.  Not only does the source code allow
> you to fix bugs.  But it also allows you to learn from other people's
> implementations.  You know the old saying: 'you see far when you stand on
> the shoulders of giants'...
>
> --jc

It seems that a lot of people like this "cookbook" approach to learning.  I
prefer the logical explanation ... "this is how it works and why"  looking at
code as an illistration of this is very helpfull, but just looking at code,
and changing it is a VERY slow way for me to learn.

I am curious as to wheter this learning style has any connection to learning
languages.  I am extreemly bad at learning languages, but maths (and anatomy)
are a diferent matter all together.   I was put off from attempting CS for 20
years because I was told that I needed to be good at languages.

sue