[prog] more CGI programming

Patricia Fraser trish at thefrasers.org
Mon May 26 19:01:15 EST 2003

Hi all,

I'd like to join in on this thread, if it won't cause any problems or
confusion - I'm writing a free software app with a friend, and cgi
stuff is at the heart of it. We're learning, slowly, but me being new
to perl I keep running into roadblocks (my friend is doing the HTML and
SQL stuff, she's not ready for Perl!). If it would be any help to you,
Dan, maybe I could post some of the code we've got so far, with some of
the questions we currently have? My code is commented like crazy, so I
don't forget why I did things! We have some helpers offlist, which is
why I haven't posted any questions here before.

The app in question is a documentation program for small enterprises
who export live seafood. We decided to use a LAMP (Linux, Apache,
MySQL, Perl) setup for it so that it can be used on a single
workstation, or a network, or over the net. We're using Mozilla as the
browser.

Basically, we set up a database in MySQL, and the app's job is to allow
data entry and update, print invoices and packing lists in various
formats, keep a (very) basic inventory and output a set of reports.

What do people think?

Cheers,
--
Trish Fraser, Sunbury, Australia