[prog] more CGI programming

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Mon May 26 14:55:15 EST 2003

On Mon, May 26, 2003, Jacinta Richardson wrote:
> How about you describe the problem you're trying to solve, or a subset
> of that problem and we work together to come up with a good solution
> to it.  This way we can help you most effectively, and the other
> people who are reading this thread can watch and learn too.

There's a school of thought that says that beginning programmers (or
programmers learning a new skill) should read other people's code as
well as, or even before, writing their own code, because being able to
read and adapt code is just as important as being able to write a
complete program from scratch. I agree that Dan might want to post some
of his code or a description of what he's attempting, but I also think
that helping people adapt existing code to their needs is a good idea
and depending on how complex Dan's request is, that grabbing some open
source code that uses the tools he's trying to use and working through
that would be as useful as stepping through the documentation and
writing it from scratch.

That said, it would be really great to see it done *on list*. There
isn't a lot of discussion of actual code on this list.

-Mary