[prog] CGI programming

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Wed May 21 10:05:03 EST 2003

> I haven't seen much traffic on this list in awhile, so maybe I'll stir
> things up a little.
>
> I'm trying to learn CGI programming. I've written and run some extremely
> basic CGI scripts, but it's obvious that I'm going to need some outside
> help to get much further. Can anyone suggest a good introduction to CGI
> programming? Can anyone explain to me how CGI programming is usually done
> in Perl (what helper functions/classes are used)?

For an okay (but needs to be heavily revised) version of my company's
training notes on CGI and Perl have a look over here:

http://www.perltraining.com.au/notes.html

For various tutorials ranging from excellent to acceptable have a look
over here:

http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node=Tutorials#network

although to be honest, I can't say a single bad thing about the monastery
and I think you'll find answers to all and any perl question there.  Just
make sure you search to see if someone else has asked it first.

> And here's a very specific question: I've noticed that Apache included the
> following variable:
>     UNIQUE_ID=tPxaBwoAAFoAAHpvDoUAAAAD
> To state the obvious, it's some sort of unique ID. It seems to change every
> time the script is invoked. How unique is it? Is it guaranteed to be unique
> for this machine for, say, a decade?

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_unique_id.html

is where you want to look for information about that.  I think the short
answer is it's supposed to be unique forever, because future identifiers
can be made longer as required.

All the best,

	Jacinta Richardson

PS - if you read of our course notes and come up with any suggestions on
what you'd prefer them to cover etc, please let me know.

--
   ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._          |  Jacinta Richardson	    |
    `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)  |  Perl Training Australia    |