[prog] CGI programming

Dan Richter daniel.richter at wimba.com
Tue May 20 11:32:43 EST 2003

Hi everyone.

I haven't seen much traffic on this list in awhile, so maybe I'll stir
things up a little.

I'm trying to learn CGI programming. I've written and run some extremely
basic CGI scripts, but it's obvious that I'm going to need some outside
help to get much further. Can anyone suggest a good introduction to CGI
programming? Can anyone explain to me how CGI programming is usually done
in Perl (what helper functions/classes are used)?

And here's a very specific question: I've noticed that Apache included the
following variable:
    UNIQUE_ID=tPxaBwoAAFoAAHpvDoUAAAAD
To state the obvious, it's some sort of unique ID. It seems to change every
time the script is invoked. How unique is it? Is it guaranteed to be unique
for this machine for, say, a decade?

========== Dan Richter ============== mailto:Dan at wimba.com ===========
   When a program dies / what you need is a moment / of serinity.
       - Damian Conway, whose Perl module transforms computer
         error messages into haikus.